According to Libertarian Party News, the official newspaper of the Libertarian National Committee, the performance of Iowa City surgeon and Libertarian Party candidate Christopher Peters in the November election ranked high among all Libertarian candidates nationwide. In races for state legislature with either no Republican or no Democrat in the race, Dr. Peters finished sixth in the country.
Peters ran for State Senate District 15 in the heavily Democratic Johnson County. No Republican volunteered to be a sacrificial lamb in this Democratic Party stronghold. Peters received 25.22% of the vote, a new record for an Iowa Libertarian candidate.
Here’s the 2010 results as listed by LP News:
Top ten percentages for state legislature (either no Republican or no Democrat in the race)
- Sean T. O’Toole MO State Rep., Dist. 40 33.42%
- Brad Hyatt IN State Rep., Dist.56 31.57%
- Scott A. Kohlhaas AK State Rep., Dist. 20 30.10%
- Jonathan Loya MA State Rep., Middlesex 8 28.74%
- Ron Cenkush IN State Rep., Dist. 5 27.97%
- Christopher Peters IA State Senator, Dist. 15 25.22%
- Fred Fogel HI State Rep., Dist. 5 24.39%
- Bob Ludlow MO State Senator, Dist. 10 23.65%
- Richard W. Shuey TX State Rep., Dist. 43 22.44%
- Don Crossley IN State Senator, Dist. 27 21.72%
Way to go, Doc!